Terahertz pulse imaging spectroscopy and pharmaceutical applications - a review
*Corresponding Author E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The terahertz region of the electromagnetic spectrum spans the frequency range between the mid-infrared (IR) and the millimeter/microwave. THz spectroscopy or imaging can be utilized for improving quality and uniformity of pharmaceutical products, such as identifying polymorphic forms, measuring tablet coating thickness, and 3D chemical mapping. These properties contribute greatly to drug dissolution and bioavailability. This review outlines some of the recent pharmaceutical applications of terahertz spectroscopy and imaging.
The following application areas are highlighted:
1. Discrimination and quantification of polymorphs/hydrates.
2. Analysis of solid form transformation dynamics.
3. Quantitative characterization of tablet coatings: off-line and on-line.
4. Tablet coating and dissolution.
5. Spectroscopic imaging and chemical mapping.
This review does not attempt to offer an exhaustive assessment of all anticipated pharmaceutical applications; rather it is an attempt to raise the awareness of the emerging opportunities and usefulness offered by this exciting technology.
Introduction, Principle, Instrumentations and Pharmaceutical Applications.