(3.215.79.204)
Users online: 1734    [ij] [ij] [ij] 
Email id
 

International Journal of Nursing Education and Research
Year : 2021, Volume : 9, Issue : 1
First page : ( 80) Last page : ( 84)
Print ISSN : 2347-8640. Online ISSN : 2454-2660.
Article DOI : 10.5958/2454-2660.2021.00020.X

Prevalence of shift work sleep disorders among security personnel at AIIMS Raipur: A cross sectional study

Ms. Rocque Ritika1,*, Mrs. Rohisha K.I.1, Dr. Mathew Binu2

1Tutor, Community Health Nursing, College of Nursing, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Raipur, Chhattisgarh

2Assistant Professor, College of Nursing, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Raipur, Chhattisgarh

*Corresponding Author E-mail: rocquejovita49@gmail.com

Online published on 27 April, 2021.

Abstract

Introduction

Sleep is one of the basic and physiologic needs of humans which have impressive effects on the physical and mental health of human.1 In today’s advanced world resulting from the improvement of technology, societies tend to encounter a large number of problems and accidents. As we know, hospital’s security personnel are classified as shift workers and are exposed to health disturbing factors.2

Objective

The main objective of the study was to assess the prevalence of shift work sleep disorders among security guards and to find an association between shift work sleep disorders and selected socio-demographic variables.

Materials and Methods

An institution based cross sectional study was conducted in February and March 2020 among 60 security personnel working in shifts at AIIMS Raipur. Non- probability Simple random sampling technique was adopted to select the sample. The sample size was 60. The tool used for the data collection was Standard Shift work index which comprised of six sections.

Results

Majority of respondents 43.33% belongs to 21-30 years, 31.67% to 31-40 years, 15% to 41-50years, and 10% belongs to 50years and above age group. 65% were males and the rest 35% were females. Majority of the samples were Hindu by religion 91.67%, 3.33% were Muslim, 5% belonged from other religion. According to type of family, 53.33% were from nuclear family and 46.67% were from joint family. Majority of security guards 41 (68.33%) had 1-5 years of work experience in AIIMS Raipur and 19 (31.67%) had 6-10 years of work experience in AIIMS Raipur. None of them had more than 10 years of work experience in AIIMS Raipur. According to average number of nights shifts per year, 38 (63.33%) having 91-20 night shifts, 15 (25%) had 60-90 nights shifts, 4 (6.67%) had more than 120 night shifts and 3 (5%) had less than 60 night shifts per year. Surveys on the prevalence of shift work sleep disorder, out of 60 security guards, 53.04 % were suffering from shift work sleep disorder. The association between demographic variables and sleep disturbance score among security guards were Joint family security guards and more night work per year having security guards are having more sleep disturbance score than others.

Top

Keywords

Shift-work sleep disorder, Standard Shift work index, Security guards, Occupational health and safety.

Top

  
║ Site map ║ Privacy Policy ║ Copyright ║ Terms & Conditions ║ Page Rank Tool
566,761,207 visitor(s) since 30th May, 2005.
All rights reserved. Site designed and maintained by DIVA ENTERPRISES PVT. LTD..
Note: Please use Internet Explorer (6.0 or above). Some functionalities may not work in other browsers.